Monday, August 9, 2010

Internship

Team

Time flies. My industrial training will come to an end in a month's time. No doubt, I've learnt quite a number of lessons in my workplace. Apparently, I was summoned by my boss for a short meeting. Guess what, it turned out to be weakness pin-pointing session. He was smart by starting out with my strengths, but later lambasted my weaknesses in a terribly nice and wise way. The nouns and verbs he used were absolutely metophor.

The meeting lasted for about half an hour, of which the conversation was dominated by him. I was quite disappointed with the feedback as I was branded "the solo player", I don't play as a team, I play for myself, I work for myself. In other words, I work for myself instead of working and benefiting the organization as a whole. I put too much importance to only myself. I was such a bastard. My performance was top notch, but I sacrificed others.

I'm an avid football fan, a footballer for a club in my university, and of course, I have a football mentality. I applied the value which I've managed to harvest from the football field to school activities, but it was a shame that I didn't really manage to do that quite well in a working environment. Perhaps, there are too much at stake.

A lesson to learn, do not do things for your own benefit. Benefit the stakeholders as a whole, because everyone has a stake in a team. Star players don't win us game, only teams do.

No comments:

Post a Comment