Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Banana


As an introduction, I want to define the word, 'banana'. In general, banana is a fruit. Indeed, everyone knows the meaning. Nowadays, the word 'banana' is a jargon among the Chinese society. A Chinese who can speak Mandarin language but isn't able to translate the language into wordings on a paper is being regarded as a banana.

So, me myself as a banana attended my first Mandarin lesson in my university today. Basically, students who have a foundation in the language are prohibited from registering the subject. But since I can't even write my own name properly in Mandarin words, I'm eager to learn and put things right. I don't want to be a laughing stock forever.

Things got more interesting when I entered the class. At the moment I opened the door, I found myself in an awkward situation. Everyone was looking at me with their curious, strange and suspicious looking eyes from the moment I entered the class until I found my seat. Moreover, I'm the only Chinese in class. I felt like an alien from Mars landing on Earth. As the class went on, I established myself as a 'pirated' foreigner who knows nothing about Mandarin. Hence, now I know why Hollywood actors have their massive paydays. Acting is hard, and there is no take two. The same thing applies in my class too, there's no room for mistakes. This is not a movie shooting, this is real....

Though I know it's wrong to register for a Mandarin class as a Chinese, I never meant to score an A cheaply in a language which I can speak well to enhance my CGPA. I hope that God will give me a chance to learn the writings. I just want to write my name in Mandarin after all.

Anyway, it's time to sleep. I'll post more updates regarding the Mandarin class in the near future. Wish me luck, Adios ~ !

No comments:

Post a Comment